Purpose of the Position: The Field Officer (agriculture) will be responsible to implement project components of WFP funded “Home Grown School Feeding Program” in the Achham district. Working closely in coordination and collaboration with Palika, Cooperative, and School Management Committee for quality implementation of the program. The duties of the officer include capacity development of farmer groups, distribution of agricultural support, supply chain management development and management of food and vegetables from farmers–cooperative – schools, providing assistance for the promotion of agriculture-related activities, providing technical guidance to the agriculture team, data management, report writing, communication, coordination and networking with government and other relevant stakeholders.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Senior Technical Officer (STO) and Project Coordinator (PC) and other project staff to create the enabling environment at different Palikas, cooperatives, and schools for effective delivery of the program activities.
- Provide full support and assistance to STO and PC to develop detailed implementation guidelines (DIG) and detailed implementation plan (DIP) of the program and lead the implementation of Home Grown School Feeding Program activities.
- Under the guidance of PC/STO/Government line agencies provides technical support to JT/JTA, and local communities to plan and implement program-related activities and ensure the quality of the work and meeting the deadline.
- Support in building the capacity of staff and key stakeholders to facilitate the overall process of planning, implementation, and monitoring of program plans at the local and community level ensuring benefits to real vulnerable communities within project municipalities and considering good governance, gender, and social inclusion.
- Support and facilitate to implementation of field-level program activities.
- Work closely with Program Team during planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of Program.
- Support/promote pilot demonstration of agricultural-related innovation, technologies and practice.
- Support to develop Policies, Regulations and Meal menus based on locally available nutritious suitable vegetables and crops.
- Review and verification of data related to HGSF Program.
- Coordinate with government, other line agencies, private sector, local NGO/CBOs, and other stakeholders for effective delivery of the program, creating synergy and leveraging of funds.
- Regular field visits to backstop and monitoring of the program.
- Support project coordinator to organize joint monitoring (district/ municipality) involving different stakeholders as per need.
- Prepare a project-level synthesis report of the program.
- Support project coordinator gather and analyzing information/data and preparing Outcome Monitoring Summary (OMS) reports in line with log-frame about challenges, progress and learning of project outcomes/outputs in specified time periods (e.g. monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and yearly basis).
- Support Project coordinator to maintain and compile the database, case studies and reports as required.
- Support project coordinator, HGSFP team/ project staff to manage visits of visitors, guests and representatives from donors and other stakeholders as per need.
- Facilitate and ensure public auditing is being implemented in each activity implementation.
- Perform duties as assigned by the project Coordinator.
Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation:
- Promote activity quality assurance through the following –
- Activity timeline coordination with field technical assistant
- Coordinate and oversee data collection during activity to ensure adherence to formats and requirements
- Conduct activity spot check and monitoring during the implementation period and compile the data as well
- Ensure the collected data and designed tools capture the project’s data minimum standard – disaggregation, robustness, quality
- Set a deadline for data flow and follow up on that with field technical assistant
- Design data summary of each activity in coordination with field technical assistant and program coordinator
- Make a suggestion to the Mercy Corps team to seek out and provide case studies on project participants
- Compile activity reports from the Palika’s staff in time for donor’s monthly quarterly and annual reporting
- Ensure proper documentation of (soft and hard copies) of tools, reports, data, manuals, guidelines, media reports, visibility items, agreements, MoUs and any other relevant documents and share them with the Mercy Corps team.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture with at least 3 years of experience in relevant subject matter
- Updated knowledge of key issues in Home Grown School Feeding Program and climate-sensitive production technology.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Proven networking, team building, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrates good listening skills. Presents a view in a convincing way and is aware of different perspectives, feelings, and concerns.
- A clear understanding of contemporary development issues-particularly in Agriculture and marketing.
- Experience in writing reports, and a good understanding of the development sector of Nepal. Advance use of excel, word, PowerPoint and data analysis. Demonstrate flexibility and open-mindedness. Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to interact well with diverse groups of people and multiple teams. Ability to write and speak good English.
- Willingness to be contactable at all times when needed.
- Willingness to work out of office hours when required.